Friday, March 26, 2010

Abbey Road

Hi friends!  The next 10 days will find me, the monsters, and The Man on our 2nd Annual Big Fat Family Roadtrip.  I will have pics and tales upon my return, but in the meantime, I've asked some of my favorite bloggers to share some of their travel experiences!  Yay!

Today, we have a guest post from Mike, of Throwing Mike a Bone fame.  Be sure to head on over to his site after reading his tale and check him out!

Well That One Mom was thoughtful enough to ask me to guest post while she’s on her road trip. So I thought about my road trips in the past to share. Looking back across the years I’ve had my share, but nothing really stands out. I blew an engine once, been stuck in stand still traffic with a screaming baby for 45 minutes, and even done triple digits across the corn field state if Iowa. However if any of you read me I usually can pull something strange out my ass to talk about. Well this is it.



The year was 1984 and it was no where near what Orwell predicted. I was a senior in high school and it was the end of spring. I had my car all winter, but now that the weather had changed it was time to really get out on the road. Freedom and independence were very big to me and having a car just expanded that.



Now what follows in completely insane and probably pushing the criminal line. However if you knew my life back then this was pretty normal. Anyhow every school had a very hot teacher as we did. I had her the year before and my friend had her this year for history. How all this unfolded is loss to time, but for some reason we decided to find out where she lived. Now this was long before you could just Google someone on the Internet. We had to tail her.


Now it only took us a day or two to figure she drove an old white corvette. We set ourselves up on down the street one day after school. She left the parking lot and the pursuit began. At the time all I had was a tape deck in my car and Abbey Road by the Beatles was big for me. So that’s the background music for this whole adventure.


She lived like 20 miles from school at least and it was a bit of a drive. I did well on the highway keeping her insight, but we sort of lost her when she got back in the residential area. After some calculating we knew she was on one street, but not where. We weren’t planning on doing anything, but at this point we were committed (and probably should have been) to finding out which one she was in.


So the next phase of the plan came into action. The next day was senior cut out day and I had off. My friend said screw it since he was a junior and had class. So bright and early the next morning we hit the road for stake out duty. We again took the long drive to her neighborhood to sit and wait. Some of the neighbors looked at us strange as we sat in the car as they walked their dogs, but the 80’s was a different time then now. Hell now we would have been on an episode of Cops. I don’t know how long we waited, but at some point she left to go to school and we confirmed what house she lived in.


Afterwards since it was before 8 am, we decided to fully enjoy being in a new area. We drove up and down the back roads of Long Island’s north shore. It was beautiful with all the trees and flowers in bloom. We passed through all the small hamlets like Cold Spring Harbor. We saw fish farms and the Castle where they hold the renaissance festivals. I have to admit to this day listening to Abbey Road brings me back to all those winding roads boarded by tall, leafy green trees. I have to admit thinking about this I don’t think my friend and I ever told anyone else about this.

6 comments:

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

That sounds like good old-fashioned, innocent-fun, teenage stalking; Google has made it all too easy. Good times! ;)

Alicia said...

awww i remember the days of cutting class! we never did spy on teachers...dang it! i totally should have thought of that! my government teacher lived DIRECTLY across the street from me in HS....what a buzzkill.

adrienzgirl said...

I remember cutting class. I was good at and never got caught till my baby sister decided to tag along. I wrote notes for both of us and then BUSTED! Dang her! Saturday school totally sucked as punishment.

Never even occurred to me to spy on teachers.

Unknown said...

Funny and very cute story! I'm glad you didn't try to roll her house or something.

p.s. Love the Beatles!

Anonymous said...

Yea, if you did that whole spying on teachers thing now-a-days you'd be on the 10 o'clock news for sure! lol

Andrea said...

Great flashback! Thanks for sharing! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails